Chiropractic is a system of healthcare based upon the premise that all living things possess inherent intelligence and healing power. Any interference with intelligence can lead to health problems. Chiropractors work to remove the interference without drugs or surgery.
What Is Chiropractic Care?
The word “chiropractic” means “hands-on” medicine. Chiropractors use hands-on adjustments along with other specific techniques to correct subluxations (misalignments) of the spine. Subluxation correction relieves nerve interference and allows the body to heal itself naturally.
How Does Chiropractic Work?
The nervous system controls everything in the entire body. When there is interference with the flow of information between the brain and the rest of the body, illness results. Chiropractic focuses on restoring the natural order of the body by removing interference in the nervous system.
Subluxations occur when nerves become irritated or compressed because of misalignments throughout the spine. When this happens, the body responds by sending pain signals to the brain. The brain interprets these messages as signs of disease. The medical approach is to prescribe drugs or surgery to treat the symptoms.
In contrast, chiropractic uses a different approach. Instead of treating the symptoms, it treats the underlying problem. Chiropractic works by first locating the area where the patient feels pain. Next, the chiropractor will locate the source of the problem using special equipment. Finally, he/she will adjust the affected vertebrae until they are back into their normal position.
If you have never had an adjustment before, your first visit will likely last 45 minutes. During this time, your chiropractor will ask questions about your medical history, perform a thorough examination, and take x-rays if needed. He/she will also discuss lifestyle changes towards healthy living that you should make after receiving treatment.
Afterward, you will receive instructions regarding how often you should return for care. You will also learn what exercises you can do to help maintain proper spinal alignment.
Is Chiropractic Right For Me?
If you’re looking for a chiropractor, there are many reasons to consider visiting one. But before you do, here are eight common reasons why you should visit your local chiropractor.
1) Pain Relief
If you suffer from acute or chronic pain, chiropractic may be able to provide relief without the side effects associated with other types of pain management treatments.
- Back Pain – Chiropractors are trained in many different techniques for chronic back pain treatment including spinal manipulation and exercise therapy. Back pain is one of the most common reasons people seek chiropractic care in Rockville.
- Neck Pain – Neck pain is another very common reason people come to see a chiropractor. Many patients who experience neck pain or whiplash injury end up needing chiropractic care. In fact, neck pain is one of the leading causes of disability worldwide.
- Lower Back Pain – Lower back pain is one of the top three health problems in America today. It affects more than 50 million Americans each year. Most lower back pain goes away within six weeks but 10% of cases require long term treatment.
- Sciatica – Sciatica is a condition that occurs when pressure builds up on the sciatic nerve. This nerve runs from the lower spine and controls the lower extremities (legs). Sciatica typically begins in the lower back and buttocks and radiates down the leg.
- Joint pain – Most joint pain can be healed through chiropractic care. Soft tissue injuries around the joint caused by accidents improper or joint use or overuse will benefit from soft tissue therapies. You’ll experience reduced pain and an improved range of motion.
2) Better Health
Because chiropractic focuses on correcting problems rather than just masking symptoms, it has been proven effective in improving overall health. Studies show that chiropractic care can improve heart function, reduce inflammation, and even treat allergies.
- Improved Body Function – Many people who suffer from back pain also experience decreased mobility. Chiropractors help restore proper spinal alignment to allow for better movement and less chance of injury.
- Reduced Pain flareups – When the spine is out of alignment, pressure builds up along nerve pathways causing discomfort. By adjusting the spine, chiropractors relieve this pressure allowing the body to heal itself naturally.
Chiropractic care helps prevent future injuries. Proper alignment of the spine reduces the risk of injury during sports or everyday activities. It also prevents muscle strain and spasms which can lead to more serious conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome.
Treatment – If you have a current condition, chiropractic care can help alleviate symptoms and improve your quality of life. Your doctor will recommend treatment based on your specific needs and goals. Treatment may include:
- Exercise Therapy
- Nutrition Counseling
- Lifestyle Advice
4) Posture Improvement
Proper posture is important for good health. By correcting misaligned joints and muscles, chiropractic care can improve posture and reduce strain on the spine.
- Muscle Relaxation – Muscles are constantly working to keep our bodies in motion. Chiropractic adjustments help relax these muscles, so they work more efficiently.
- Improved Circulation – When blood flows to your brain is blocked by a pinched nerve, headaches result. By restoring normal circulation, chiropractic care helps eliminate headaches caused by pinched nerves.
- Improved quality of sleep – Improper sleep patterns or lack of sleep have been linked to increased stress levels, poor concentration, and fatigue. By helping to correct any issues related to sleeping habits, chiropractic care improves quality of life.
5) General Wellness
Chiropractic adjustment can be used to address a wide variety of physical complaints. From treating headaches to reducing stress, chiropractic care is an excellent way to maintain general wellness.
- Chiropractic Care for Children – Chiropractors are trained to treat children from birth through adolescence. They can help prevent and correct problems before they become serious health issues.
6) Sports Performance
Chiropractic correction can help athletes perform better in both training and competition. Corrective exercises and stretches performed before practice or game play will help prepare you for optimal performance.
- Prevent Injury – Regular chiropractic care helps to prevent injury by maintaining proper spinal alignment, reducing stress on the body, and improving general health.
- Improve Posture – Poor posture is a frequent problem among athletes. A regular chiropractic checkup can help alleviate some of the aches and pains associated with bad posture.
- Chiropractic Care for Sports Injuries – When you are participating in any sport or athletic activity, it’s important that your body is properly prepared and ready to take on the rigors of competition. If you participate in contact sports like football, hockey, soccer, baseball, etc., then you need to make sure that your body is well-prepared to handle the impact of the game.
When you play sports, there are many things that can go wrong with your body. You may get injured because of improper training, overuse, or simply bad luck. Whatever the reason, if you do not receive regular chiropractic care, you could end up suffering from chronic pain or worse.
7) Prevention of Future Illness
Many studies show that regular chiropractic care reduces the risk of developing certain diseases such as diabetes, heart disease and cancer.
8) Chiropractic Injury Treatment After an Auto Accident
A car accident can be devastating, and the injuries that result from an accident are often severe. In addition to physical injury, you may also suffer emotional trauma as well. You may feel depressed or anxious about your future. These feelings of depression reduce with chiropractic care.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is chiropractic care safe during pregnancy?
Yes, it’s safe. Moreover, it can help to alleviate some common pregnancy symptoms like lower back pain, sciatica and muscle tightness and promote a healthier pregnancy. Chiropractors are trained to modify care techniques to accommodate pregnant women during the different trimesters when the belly is growing.
Chiropractors are aware of the laxity of your ligaments which occurs late in pregnancy and use lighter and gentler force. Aside from this, chiropractic care helps in a range of pregnancy symptoms brought on by a widening pelvis, rapid weight gain, and altered sleep. Some pregnancy concerns it can help with include:
- Ligament pain
- Low back pain
- Breech babies
- Sacrum and pelvis pain
- Length of labor
- Morning sickness
How often should you visit a chiropractor when pregnant?
Every patient and pregnancy is unique. Some women may experience more severe morning sickness than others, and other women may have a relatively difficult pregnancy than others. For this reason, individuals should produce a custom treatment plan with their chiropractors. But a pregnant woman in her first trimester should get chiropractic care once a month. In the second trimester, the frequency should increase every two or three weeks, and in the final trimester, the visits should be weekly until delivery.
Note: The frequencies above are based on pregnancies with minimal complications.
What happens in a prenatal chiropractic visit?
Prenatal chiropractors have pillows or tables that allow pregnant women to lay comfortably with their faces down without injury to their unborn child. The chiropractor then analyses their nervous system and spine to find the specific spot to adjust and trigger healing.
The adjustment can be done using chiropractor-specific tools or by hand. The adjustments don’t hurt since they are light and gentle. But even then, communication between the chiropractor and patient is key to guarantee a pain-free experience.
Can chiropractor care help with acid reflux?
Chiropractor care can improve a patient’s life significantly including reducing acid reflux. Chiropractors help treat acid reflux by taking pressure off the nerves. They also help to strengthen back muscles through spine manipulation, which relieves pressure on the stomach and eases acid reflux.
Need Chiropractic Care?
Chiropractic treatments help in treating numerous health conditions naturally. To enjoy results of Chiropractic care like pain relief for longer, we suggest making healthy lifestyle changes to support the treatment.
Consult with your local chiropractor at ProHealth Chiropractic Wellness Center for a custom, long-lasting solution to your pain and improve general wellness.